The Live Music Office, APRA AMCOS and Music NSW have partnered to deliver Amplify; a 12-month pilot project to support the growth of the local live music industry.
Local government funding initiatives from the City of Sydney and the Inner West Council have enabled the appointment of Clayton Reis as Live Music Programming Coordinator for the Amplify project. The role will work one-on-one with bars, restaurants, and other small businesses in inner city Sydney and the inner west providing tailored site-specific guidance to both new and existing venues. The aim is to help them explore and establish financially sustainable live music and performance programming within their venue.
Led by Clayton, the project was overseen by a pilot steering committee, consisting of representatives from the Live Music Office, APRA AMCOS, Music NSW and representatives of government funding partners the City of Sydney, Leichhardt Municipal Council and Marrickville Council.
AMPLIFY aims and outcomes:
Develop and implement a pilot business advice program focused on the introduction or optimisation of live music and performance programming. The program will include best-practice advice on topics such as:
- Live music production including equipment, sound and staging options.
- Connecting with the music community, building partnerships and booking talent.
- Marketing, promotion and audience development.
- Licensing, administration and financial management.
- Engaging with all-ages or underage audiences.
- Other information resources.
Working one-on-one with a range of business types to deliver the program across the pilot period. In addition to the provision of bespoke advice as described above, the role will be responsible for:
- Introducing and facilitating relationships with artist agents and booking agencies suitable to the aims and resources of the business.
- Facilitating relationships with government stakeholders, where required.
- Working with businesses as they implement programming or programming changes.
Project monitoring and data reporting was collated across the pilot project for evaluation and will lead to delivery of the project report developed by the Live Music Office.
Amplify worked with new and existing venues in the following local government areas:
- City of Sydney
The pilot project ran in 2016 and the Amplify Pilot Project report was delivered in 2017.