In 2009 an inquiry was held in the ACT into issues affecting live music venues and events. This inquiry investigated important regulatory provisions and made recommendations for changes to better support live music in the ACT.
Many of these recommendations are still outstanding and are yet to be addressed.
The Committee recommendations are as follows:
- The Committee recommends that the description of ACT land areas in Schedule 2 (table 2.1) of the Environment Protection Regulation 2005 specify which Territory Plan zones fall under a particular noise zone, where applicable.
- The Committee recommends that the ACT Government review the noise standards in the Environment Protection Regulation 2005to provide more flexibility for small and medium venues to run live events. The review should consider: a)Distinguishing between outdoor and indoor entertainment; b)Allowing a higher noise standard on Friday and Saturday nights in Zone B, at least until midnight; and c) Allowing higher noise standard for New Year’s Eve until 1.00am on 1 January.
- The Committee recommends that the Liquor Act 1975 enable the Commissioner to consider Order of Occupancy principles when investigating complaints in relation to a licensee.
- The Committee recommends that the ACT Government investigates the best ways to ensure that people moving into residential areas where live entertainment is provided are made aware of Order of Occupancy principles.
- The Committee recommends that the ACT Planning and Land Authority include the concept of Reverse Sensitivity as an overarching Objective in the relevant Development Codes and Precinct Codes of the Territory Plan.
- The Committee recommends that private businesses and commercial developments be encouraged to provide bill posting facilities.
- The Committee recommends that the interdepartmental committee (IDC) further investigate the availability of community venues for live events in the ACT and consider how the ACT Government can better support this need.
- The Committee recommends that the ACT Government review the regulations that impact on live community events and ensure that the regulatory requirements for venues reflect the different types of music and entertainment that may be provided.
- The Committee recommends that the ACT Government consider improved sound attenuation measures for existing community facilities.