City Of Melbourne Music Strategy 2014/2016
On Wednesday 13 August 2014 the City of Melbourne launched their live music Strategy 2014/2016 at live music venue The Toff in Town
There are a number of resources associated with this plan, including
The Melbourne Music Strategy comprises of 18 key actions, that are tabled below.
- Continue to work across Council and with industry to make music more visible in Melbourne with year-round events and activities.
- Encourage music in the city throughout the day and night while maintaining the amenity of city residents.
- Support industry to stage family-friendly music events.
- Work with industry to tell Melbourne’s musical story.
- Partner with industry to promote Melbourne as a national and international music destination for music-making and investment.
- Continue to develop Melbourne Music Week as a way of celebrating and supporting the city’s music industry.
- Conduct an audit that identifies existing and new spaces that support music performance, collaboration and rehearsal in the City of Melbourne
- Encourage greater collaboration between retail, hospitality and tourism businesses and local musicians.
- Contribute to other industry and state-based initiatives to investigate the feasibility of a music hub in central Melbourne.
- Evaluate the need to compile an industry toolkit for the music community, setting out useful information about presenting music in the City
- Create more awareness of the City of Melbourne’s existing funding programs within the music industry.
- Work with musicians and industry to develop mentoring programs and facilitate opportunities for the music community to work together on joint projects
- Continue to monitor the regulatory framework governing live music venues.
- Work with industry, other local councils and Victorian Government to support existing live music venues and encourage new music entrepreneurs.
- Examine the need for Council to host a regular forum of key music industry stakeholders to discuss issues around live music.
- Refine existing City of Melbourne tools and datasets to measure the economic and social contribution of the local music industry to Melbourne.
- Continue to capture, evaluate and quantify the City of Melbourne’s existing music-related events, grants and programs.
- Work with other national, state and city-based agencies to gather data and research the industry.