In an important development for the music and entertainment industry in Queensland, public consultation is currently underway with Sunshine Coast Council proposing amendments to the Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme 2014 and planning scheme policies relating to Special Entertainment Precincts.
Special Entertainment Precincts Proposed Amendment
The purpose and general effect of the Proposed Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme 2014 (Qualified State Interest Amendment) and Planning Scheme Policy (Amendment) – Special Entertainment Precincts is to provide further support for the live music industry on the Sunshine Coast, increase vibrancy in major centres and tourist areas and protect residential amenity by:-
- designating part of the Maroochydore City Centre Priority Development Area and part of the Nambour’s major activity centre as ‘special entertainment precincts’ under the Local Government Act 2009;
- deleting the existing hospitality areas in Maroochydore, Nambour, Caloundra and Mooloolaba activity centres to reduce potential overlap and confusion with the proposed new special entertainment precincts;
- amending the tables of assessment, development codes, zone codes and relevant local plan codes to make it easier for entertainment uses to establish in centre zones, key tourist areas and the Ocean Street Food and Music Sub-Precinct;
- providing for micro-breweries in the Principal centre zone and Major centre zones;
- amending the assessment benchmarks relating to noise criteria for venues, surrounding residential development and key mixed use areas; and
- amending the Planning Scheme Policy for the Nuisance code to include requirements for noise impact assessments.
Viewing the proposed amendments and making a submission
The proposed amendments are subject to public consultation from 15 October to 9 November 2018.
During the consultation period, a copy of the proposed amendments and explanatory material can be:-
- viewed and/or purchased at Council’s Development Information Counter, 10 First Avenue, Maroochydore and also at Council’s administration buildings in Nambour and Caloundra; or
- downloaded from Council’s website https://haveyoursay.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au/open-consultation.
The Proposed Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme 2014 (Major Amendment) – Caloundra Centre Master Plan can also be viewed at the Caloundra Library.
Please refer to Council’s website for details on how to make a submission about the proposed amendments.
For further information, please contact Council’s Strategic Planning Branch on (07) 5420 8953 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.