The City of Sydney has just announced three projects to be delivered as part of the next stage of their Live Music and Performance Action Plan.
- Funding – a new funding program for live music and performance venues. This will be a broad program designed to support new and existing venues and in-venue programming.
- Planning support – a specialist planning process for live music and performance development applications, with planners on hand to work with venue operators and applicants through the whole process.
- Entertainment noise – in the next few months the City will be releasing a paper outlining how they are going to address entertainment noise into the future.
See Media Release – Practical actions for a resurgent live music scene
These initiatives have featured recently in the music press – see following links
The City of Sydney is reviewing its busking policy and have launched a two-month consultation process.
The consultation centres on a discussion paper that was unanimously endorsed by Council, and is focused on areas where Council believes there are opportunities to refine their approach to busking, and contains a range of ideas both new and from other jurisdictions.
Visit http://sydneyyoursay.com.au/busking-in-city to download the paper and contribute to the conversation.
The City will also be holding a workshop in mid-late April where they will work through creating a new Busking Code of Conduct, there is place where you can register your interest on the webpage.
Live Music and Performance Action Plan progress
The City of Sydney has recently completed the 2017 annual Action Plan update. This document is a comprehensive, action-by-action report back to the sector on how the work is progressing. It can be downloaded here.
The City of Sydney…
- is 2 years 11 months into the plan’s delivery
- has implemented 29 of the 60 actions (48%)
- has implemented 63% of the actions that sit within their control (i.e. not including advocacy actions that ultimately sit with the NSW Government)
- is currently working on 20 actions
As well as providing information on the status of each commitment within the Action Plan, this year’s update also includes a range of attachments.
- Mapping Cultural Venues and Infrastructure in the City of Sydney – University of Western Sydney
- Valuing Live Music in the City of Sydney – University of Tasmania
- Night-time Economy Roundtable Action Plan – NSW Government Response
- Liquor Law Review Submission – City of Sydney
- Small Bars Review Submission – City of Sydney